Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Hot 5


I seem to be a fickle person if I have so many installments of The Hot 5.  My list of the things have just grasped my attention for the moment.  This list is a doozy too.  Let's get flaming...hmm...I didn't think that one through.  Let's light this bitch!  A lil better...kind of aggressive.  Oh well, I'll work on it.

Game of Thrones
"Winter is coming." - Ned Stark

Holy Helena Handbaskets! This show is awesome.  I kept seeing press on it, I even saw the actual Iron Throne at Wondercon, but I never gave it any attention.  Then I was bored on Sunday night and decided to check out the premiere.  I was immediately locked in.  It is like Lord of the Rings, except with more nudity, cursing, bloodshed, and less closeted gayness between hobbits and a lot less walking.  Oh yes and a lot more Emilia Clarke.  This show is based on a series of books by George R.R. Martin.  The story so far, deals with a few different families: the Starks, the Lannisters, and the Targaryens.  What I love about this show is the amount of detail put in to make this world feel extremely real.  From the dialog to the wardrobe and the amazing set pieces, this show is filled with little details that bring Westeros to life.  You really believe this place exists...and you probably don't want to live in that world.  The characters are also awesome, and every one, even the despicable ones, are multi-dimensioned.  My favorite characters so far are Tyrion Lannister (the Imp), Arya Stark, and of course Eddard "Ned" Stark played by Sean Bean.  Sean Bean's on-screen presence has so much weight to it, when he's just standing in a room you feel his presence and you can't wait for him to say something, because it's usually badass.  Oh yes...Emilia Clarke, so gorgeous.

Portal 2
"Here come the test results: you are a horrible person. That’s what it says. We weren’t even testing for that." - GLaDOS

I never played the first Portal.  It didn't look interesting.  Then I kept hearing everyone getting super hyped for the release of Portal 2.  I decided to check it out, and I was hooked.  The puzzles aren't very difficult, but they make you feel idiotic when you are stuck on one for an hour and then you realize how simple the solution is.  The best parts about this game are not the puzzles; the best parts are the incredible voice acting and superb story telling.  Stephen Merchant is just plain hilarious.  And then they added a co-op feature, and that is just awesome.  One of the more awesome co-op solutions involves you having to hit a jump at just the right time to bash into each other to land on a platform below.  Give this game a shot, you won't regret it.  Oh and chicks LOVE Portal.

Parks & Recreation
"I call noodles, long ass rice." - Tom Havorford

Damn it if I love this show to death.  Community is my favorite show on the NBC Thursday night line up, but I look forward to watching Parks & Recreation the most.  Does that even make sense?  This show gets better every season.  If you've been watching since the beginning you've noticed how every character has evolved and you are not really rooting for them.  This year has been mostly focused on Leslie Knope finding love in Ben Wyatt.  I can't help but feel so happy when something nice happens for her.  What hooked me in season 2 was the Andy/April storyline, and that hasn't changed since they've gotten together.  They are a really fun couple to watch, it's funny to see Andy having to be the mature one in the relationship sometimes.  The writers keep adding new facets to Pawnee and its neighbors: Perd Haply, Eagleton, Crazy Ira and the Douche, and so much more.  This show, more than any other on NBC Thursdays has the biggest heart and often leaves you with warm and squishy feelings.

Thor
"Whoever wields this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." - Odin

The God of Thunder.  Marvel did an awesome job bringing this franchise to life.  I never really read the Thor comics so I wasn't expecting anything, but from what I gleaned afterwards on Wikipedia it seemed pretty accurate.  Some parts dragged but I really enjoyed the movie overall.  The story was well written, the dialog was surprisingly funny, and the action was pretty stellar.  Chris Hemsworth did an awesome job as Thor, and Natalie Portman was just downright adorable.  Kat Dennings was the comic relief and she had some awesome one-liners.  Tom Hiddleston played Loki, and did an awesome job at being the villain.  A great movie that should help lead the way to Captain America and then to the Avengers.  In my ranking of comic movies it goes: Dark Knight, X-Men 2, Iron Man, Thor, and then Batman Begins.

Justified
"You make me pull, I'll put you down." - Raylan Givens

What a great show.  Justified follows the adventures of Raylan Givens a softspoken US Marshall that gets transferred back to his home state of Kansas.  The true draw of this show is the characters.  Based off of a short story by Elmore Leonard, who has had a few other movies based off of his books: Out of Sight and Jackie Brown, this show seems to take characters from one story he wrote ("Fire in the Hole") and flesh them out into a weekly series.  The characters are so well written that they seem like they just exist, and were not created for a television show.  The random character who we meet for one episode only gets awesome dialog, it makes the world feel so rich.  It's pretty gritty, but not as gritty as other FX shows like The Shield and Nip/Tuck.  One of my favorite shows that I have discovered this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment