Thursday, June 16, 2011

Homeward Bound


It's done.  My condo is sold.  And although I pre-emptively moved back in to my parent's house a few weeks ago it wasn't final until today.  The condo was such a huge burden on me and my parents financially.  I am glad we finally got it sold.  It's sort of a nice feeling.  That being said, I will sorely miss my condo.  I learned so much from living there for almost 4 years.

First of all I loved living by myself.  I finally felt like an adult.  I am blessed with a mom who does everything for me, from cooking to laundry, so living away from her was a huge step.  I realized a few things...I hate cooking and I hate doing laundry.  But I learned to do them anyway.  Well not so much cooking, unless you count scrambled eggs and bacon.  I learned to clean up after myself more diligently.  And I learned how to take care of my own house.  When you live at home you don't realize everything you have to worry about.  Nobody is going to take care of your house but you.

I think the best lesson I took away from owning this condo was learning how to save money.  It's not so much that I was saving money, as I couldn't spend much money otherwise I wouldn't be able to pay the mortgage.  My condo took about 3 quarters of my monthly income.  I would go for over two months without buying new groceries.  If I was eating Top Ramen, that means I was in dire need of a grocery run.  Oft times my refrigerator was bare, with just my water filter and some eggs.  I learned to make lunch the night before work so I wouldn't spend money on food.  I learned to live without buying every new BluRay or video game.  Instead I bought only the games and movies I REALLY wanted.  As a matter of fact I didn't buy anything I didn't really need.  This made Christmas time a little rough, but I got through it.

Some things I won't miss living there: the packed parking lot, my ridiculously far parking spot, the walk from said parking lot/spot to my house with groceries in tow, the idiots upstairs complaining about my noisy TV while their kid bangs the floor with what only sounds like a sledgehammer, the toilet that takes 3 minutes for the water to fill back up, the water that takes up to 10 minutes to warm up (depending on the time of day), and the HOA bill.

I'm going to miss my little condo.  My rooms looked so small when they were empty, but once you started loading furniture into them you realized how big they actually were.  I'm going to miss my dark red accent wall in my room.  I'm going to miss my classy looking kitchen area with beautiful cabinets and marble counter tops.  I'm going to miss my large, deep sink and my never used dish washer.  I'm going to miss having friends over and watching movies or playing videogames.  I'm going to miss decorating the one little corner of space I had in my living room during Christmas time.  I'm going to miss my 1/4 bathroom in my bedroom.  At first it seemed so ridiculous, but it was oh so awesome, especially when I had someone else living there.  I'm going to miss my toilet, although you take long to fill the back tank back up after a flush, you were powerful and you had a very wide seat.  I'm going to miss you.  I was the first of my friends to own a condo, and now I'm the first to sell one.

Smell ya later Milpitas.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on selling the condo. I hear you. I can't stand every first That might be the reason I'm grumpy around the start of the month. By the way, not using your dishwasher is an Asian thing. We only use it to store wet dishes from the night before or use it as an additional cabinet space.

    Good luck to you,

    DC

    ReplyDelete