Thursday, April 7, 2011

I got stoned...kidney stoned


After dinner excitement
My adventure started at home.  After a great steak dinner my stomach started feeling a little weird, nothing out of the ordinary, and nothing that some good toilet time wouldn't cure.  As I sat on the throne the pain started to get worst.  It was that kind of stomach ache that just stirs in your stomach and you ask for forgiveness for whatever it is you did to deserve this torture.  I thought that was the worst of it, oh how I was wrong.  After the toilet, I slunk over to my bed and tried to lie down to alleviate the pain.  That's when the real pain set in.  The pain began to localize to my left side, first it felt pretty dull, and then it got sharp and then I started feeling nauseous.  I decided to call my mom to come pick me up and take me to an urgent care facility.

There was nothing "urgent" or "caring" about this Urgent Care
My younger brother, Jay, lives closer so he and his wife came to get me instead.  It was tough to walk, and the ride over to Regional Medical Center of San Jose on Jackson Ave. was excruciating.  When I got in to the hospital it's always jarring how un-alarmed and ineffectual everyone there is.  I understand, they see it all the time, and they see a lot worse, still though a little concern could have gone a long way.  So after talking to one guy, he sends me to a room, mind you still in excruciating pain, and I give my insurance information.  Then they send me back out into the waiting room, did I mention I'm still in excruciating pain?  After about 20 minutes of waiting they ask me to take a urine sample then I was finally off to a room.  I sit in there for another 20 or so minutes, until someone comes and finally gives me something for the pain.  After a few minutes of unsuccessfully putting a needle in my arm (ouch) they went and put the IV in my hand.  They gave me some meds that really helped.  Funny story about the nurse who was putting in the IV.  So it comes in pieces, tubes, needle, tape and whatnot.  She lays everything down on my crotch area and I'm like whoa...I guess my stomach was too bulbous, haha.  But if that wasn't enough she keeps picking up and putting down stuff and she keeps seriously grazing my piece.  Haha.  If I weren't in pain I would have had an embarrassing moment, she was cute too.


Total Recall
After awhile they moved me, in my bed, to get a CT Scan.  On the way there I saw a sad scene, a large family was gathered outside of a room and people were crying.  I think someone just passed away.  Put my pain in perspective for a bit.  The CT Scan was fun.  Sat in the middle of what looked like a giant donut and it told me to hold my breath as it scanned me.  I felt like I was in Total Recall or something.  They wheel me back to my room, passed the grieving family and I wait for results from the doctor.

Instant Get Well Cards
After I get my CT Scan and the meds dull the pain, I have enough strength to take a few pictures and post them on Facebook.  The response was overwhelming from people cracking jokes to wishing me well, it made me feel really cared for.  Thanks to everyone who commented, it really helped pass the time in there.

The Diagnosis
I meet up with my brother and sister and they keep me company for awhile.  I thank them for the ride and company and they head off just as my mom and older brother arrive.  The doctor finally comes in and confirms that I indeed have a kidney stone, official diagnosis: Left ureterolithiasis.  She says I have a few in my right kidney as well, apparently there is no pain when they're in there, but once they start moving down the tubes, thats when the pain sets in.  The pain starts coming back so they inject me with some killer drugs, something stronger than morphine...after that moment I was feeling pretty...hiiiiiiiiiiiigh.  We head out  and I grab my prescribed meds.  Ready for more pain the next day.

3 comments:

  1. I had sympathy pains driving home. You experienced horrible pain but at least you get a good story out of it. You've been to that ER way too many times now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your brave for even going to Regional! enough said! take it easy mr dope man! what did they give you ?? Dilaudid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Dilaudid I totally forgot what it was called. It was strong.

    ReplyDelete